Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Problem with Best Films of All-Time Lists -- Even Great Directors Screw Them Up | Alternet

The Problem with Best Films of All-Time Lists -- Even Great Directors Screw Them Up | Alternet

I have no problem with lists that provide a rationale for the inclusion of a particular film. I taught An Introduction to the Study of Film, the History of Film, Science Fiction, and Canadian Film fairly regularly; and I know exactly why I wanted students to watch my choices in those courses.  Each contributed in some way to the art, craft, narrative technique of film-making in some way. Each expanded the possibilities of the medium through technique or narrative strategy, some more than others. This cannot be said of Vertigo, as interesting as that film may be. Some day, when I'm not doing politics - will that day ever come under the Harper Regime? - I'll pick a bunch of films I think worth watching.

In the meantime, in the next post, you'll find a review of a film you probably didn't see last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment